Culinary Has Went to State!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Culinary Has Went to State!

Lennon Beckman, Editor

Last week, it was announced that Kahale Ahina’s Culinary students were going to state on saturday, March 10th. The students in the Culinary Team were listed to be Morgan Isenberg (the captain of the team), Brooke Stretz, Lauren Yakowitz, and Baylie Workman. Along with the Restaurant Management team consisting of Ashley Combs (the team captain), Ariel Radford, Coral Thompson, Taylor Failla, and Annalyse Sandoval (the alternate). To become a part of this state competition, they had to skip 5th and 6th period of school on Thursday, March 8th, and skip all of Friday, March 9th due to them leaving to go to state on that day. They had to travel all the way up to Spokane to participate in the competition, and all that can be said is that they did absolutely fantastic.

In the grand scale of things, Mr.Ahina’s truly pulled off an impressive display of their skills. With the Restaurant Management Team receiving the title of 2nd place, while also receiving a long list of scholarships that will surely benefit them in the future. The scholarships they received are the Culinary Institutes of America $1,500 Renewable (provides $6,000), Culinary Institute of Virginia $1,500 Renewable (provides $6,000), Louisiana Culinary Institute, LLC (provides $2,000), and the NECI- New England Culinary Institute (Provides $6,000), while providing a total of $20,000 in scholarship money to students. The Culinary Arts team also did well, especially since they received the title of 3rd place in the competition while also being provided scholarship money. The scholarships in question are the Culinary Institutes of America $1,000 Renewable ($4,000), Culinary Institute of Virginia $1,000 Renewable ($4,000), Louisiana Culinary Institute ($2,000), and the NECI- New England Culinary Institute ($6,000), while providing a total of $16,000 of scholarship money for these culinary teammates. The overall grand total of scholarship money that was received between the teams is $36,000 worth of scholarship money. Not only is this incredible, but is all the more impressive that these teams did so well while also receiving such an amazing reward that they certainly cherish when it comes to when they will be choosing colleges, universities, or institutes that will fit their needs to continue expressing their skills.

The accomplishments of the teachers and mentors shall not be lost in the fame of these teams, since they deserve just as much recognition. Mr.Ahina, the beloved culinary teacher of BLHS, has been titled to be the 2018 Washington Hospitality Association Teacher of Excellence, which is something he most certainly should feel proud of. Along with Dan Corekin receiving the title of 2018 Mentor of the Year. With such titles, they should receive all of the “congratulations” that they so deserve. Make sure you tell them when you see them.

Congratulations, panthers!