Going to Mexico! Grab your Passport!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Going to Mexico! Grab your Passport!

Brianna Weed, Staff Writer

RSM? What does that stand for? It stands for Rancho Sordo Mudo, which is a free deaf school/ ranch in the Guadalupe valley in Baja California, Mexico. This ranch holds a special place in a few students hearts here at BLHS. Calvary Community Church in Sumner offers this trip yearly to anyone of age. You spend about a week here and fly into San Diego than travel 2 hours to the ranch. During your weeks stay at the ranch you get to do tourist activities, build houses, do yard work, cook meals, learn LSM, get to know the kids on the ranch, maybe learn some Spanish, eat real authentic Mexican food, meet new people, and the list can go on forever!

The kids on the ranch come there usually not having a way to communicate with the world or any good education. So that’s what the ranch will help with, there are teachers that live on the ranch and teach these kids how to communicate through Mexican Sign Language (LSM). These kids learn writing, communicating, art, reading, math, science, everything! All the kids live on the ranch in dorm rooms. Without the ranch there would many kids in Mexico without a way to communicate or a place to live and be loved.

“Ed and Margaret Everett, the founders of RSM, believed that deaf children could be taught how to read and write, to communicate in sign language, and to learn a trade for their future. More importantly, the goal of the ministry is to teach the children of God’s love for them and give them a hope and future.” The Ranch has been doing that for over 47 years now. They have a lot of support between all the people that donate to them, people that come and stay to build the things they need, and live on the ranch to teach and care for the kids. This Ranch truly is a special place and will give you that “heaven on earth” type of peaceful feeling. 

Joey Deluca is senior here at BLHS and he has traveled to this ranch a few times and to him RSM is “a place of hope”. Brianna Weed another senior here has traveled twice to RSM also with Joey. Too her this ranch is a “heaven on earth”. The ranch you could describe in so many positive ways, because it really is true this is such a special place getting to see all the kids so happy thanks to the amazing people who started up the ranch and all its volunteers/support.

Rancho Sordo Mudo is truly a amazing place to visit and recommend to anyone that sounds interested in this trip to look more into it on there website! http://ranchosordomudo.com/. A trip like this can sound very nerve wracking especially traveling to another country, but getting to make a impact for people that need it feels so rewarding. Rancho Sordo Mudo is doing amazing thing for other people to give them a wonderful and safe life.