Panther Tracks

• Senior Prom - June 9th

• Buy your prom tickets TODAY

• Senior Awards Night - June 7th

• Last Day of School - June 21st

• Sign Up For Panther Cup - June 5th

Shaquem Griffin; Added to the Seattle Seahawks.

Shaquem Griffin was not with the Seahawks when this picture was taken.

Sarah Bohl, Staff Writer

The Seattle Seahawks made a lot of changes in their roster in the off-season and will be looking very different this coming year.  Some of the big names from recent years such as Richard Sherman, Michael Bennett, Jeremy Lane and Byron Maxwell on the defense and Paul Richardson, Thomas Rawls and Jimmy Graham on the offense are no longer Seahawks.  

One of the up and coming Seahawks last year was Shaquill Griffin who is a cornerback and has spent the last two seasons learning from one of the best, Richard Sherman. Unbeknownst to many, Shaquill Griffin has a twin brother who was playing college football at the University of Central Florida (UCF) last year. Shaquill’s brother, Shaquem was a standout player at UCF and was named the Defensive Player of the Year for the conference where UCF completed the season with a 13-0 record. Shaquem is fast and strong and amazingly has only one hand. At the NFL combine before the 2018 draft Shaquem ran the fastest 40 yard dash ever run by a linebacker during a combine.

Shaquem was born with a condition that prevented his hand from fully forming and when he was four years old the pain got to be so bad that they ended up having to amputate his hand.  Clearly Shaquem did not let that slow him down at all in his football career. In addition to football, he continued playing other sports such as baseball and track.

Not only is it an amazing story that Shaquem has been able to excel as a football player, but the fact that the Seattle Seahawks drafted him in the recent draft means he will be playing on the same team as his twin brother Shaquill!

The Seahawks took Shaquem Griffin with the 141st overall pick in the 2018 draft which was during the fifth round of the draft.  This means the brothers are once again teammates, after having been college teammates at UCF. It was neat to see the video of the brothers when they found out Shaquem had been drafted by the Seahawks and that not only was Shaquem going to get a chance to play in the NFL, but he was going to get to do so with his brother.  It was touching to see how happy they both were.

While it is a great human interest story, Shaquem seems to be the real deal.  He is fast, he is strong, he was a “big playmaker” in college and he was the star of a team that went undefeated in his senior year of college.  He is competitive, determined and likely his biggest fan will be on the field with him cheering him on as he starts his rookie season with the Seahawks.

With rookie camp just completed and voluntary workouts underway, the coaching staff seems impressed with him so far.  I for one am really looking forward to seeing how he does. There are a lot of new faces and new names to learn on the Seahawks roster this year.  I will be watching for number 49 and wishing him well in his new adventure!

About the Writer
Sarah Bohl, Movies

Sarah is a senior who enjoys dogs, chicken pad Thai, going on drives and playing soccer. She likes to write in the sports section because she finds that its something that she can relate to and she finds it interesting as well as fun.