Panther Tracks

• Senior Prom - June 9th

• Buy your prom tickets TODAY

• Senior Awards Night - June 7th

• Last Day of School - June 21st

• Sign Up For Panther Cup - June 5th

The Top Five Most Influential Weightlifters

Levi Hornbuckle, Staff Writer

I definitely have to start this list off with someone that i’ve found very influential in my life because of this ability to overcome struggles in his life:                                                                                                                      C.T. Fletcher is a powerlifter and in his prime he managed to break the world record for bench press three times with his last being 650 lbs, he also broke the strict curl three times his last being 225 lbs. While his bench press was broke soon after it was set, he managed to keep the record for strict press for until 2015 when it was broken by a man named Dennis Cyplenkov with a 250 strict curl. He now holds the record the world record. In 2005 C.T. Fletcher had heart problems and he had to get open heart surgery and now has a pacemaker. But despite the pacemaker he stills lifts all the time and he owns his own gym known as Iron Addicts for people that are addicted to lifting weights.

Eddie hall is a powerlifter and he is the first person to ever deadlift 500kg( about 1102 LBS). Eddie Hall is the epitome of legend in my book just because he is close to the same build as me just a supersized version. He has the word “THE” on one arm and “BEAST” on the other so when he flexes his arms it says “THE BEAST”. He spoke in part of a documentary on netflix about strongman and said that his food plan costs $1,000 a week. That means alone on groceries he spends $48,000 a year, that is almost the average americans income at $56,516 a year. The thought of that is  just completely insane to me.

Hafþór Júlíus “Thor” Björnsson A.K.A.  The Mountain. Is a powerlifter and the current record holder of the heaviest deadlift that he just recently broke at 1,041 lbs. He is also an actor that has appeared in shows like Game Of Thrones and movies like kickboxer retaliation do to his sear size. He is currently really popular on social media because of how big he is and how small his girlfriend is. I respect him alot because he is a big guy and some people with his size and weight sometimes squander their talents and they don’t go to their full potential. But he has definitely done alot for himself.

Brian Shaw (Gigantor) is a power lifter that weighs 423 lbs and is 6’8 he has won the Arnold Strongman Competition 4 times in 2011, 2013, 2015, and 2016. He is an influential person in peoples lives because he helps people understand proper workout techniques and plans. He also gives me inspiration by showing me his day by day workout plans and how he gets prepared for competitions and lifting in general. He managed to beat The Mountain in the strongman competition also which is a large task.

Obviously anyone that knows weightlifting and bodybuilding knows this person and anyone who has seen a good action movie in the last half century also knows who this man is.  He came to America from Austria in 1968 when he was 21 years old the man’s name is Arnold Schwarzenegger.  He won the worlds bodybuilding competition known as Mr.Olympia seven times in a row! Now starred in many movies like the popular series Terminator and the Expendables. He is now 70 years old and still a global icon there is now a competition named after him for bodybuilders and weightlifters known as the Arnold Classic. That has so many different areas of competition and I suggest seeing one in your life who knows you may meet the Arnold there.

These people are all extremely important to me because they gave me motivation to lift more and workout harder. They also make many people want to take care of there bodys.

About the Writer
Levi Hornbuckle, Movies
Levi is a senior who enjoys playing football.