Panther Tracks

• Senior Prom - June 9th

• Buy your prom tickets TODAY

• Senior Awards Night - June 7th

• Last Day of School - June 21st

• Sign Up For Panther Cup - June 5th

Miss the Sunshine and Ocean?

Kayaking in Seattle

Kayaking in Seattle

Kayaking in Seattle

Yvonne Chang, Community, Staff Writer

It is spring time now, and soon summer comes. The season that weather is always great for people to do outdoor activities, set under the sun and blue sky can give you a really nice break. In those kind of days you can also choose to hike, bike, sail, picnic, kayak, etc. If you like watersports or you are a person who likes to explore you might be interested in these, this time exercises can also be done on the ocean or lakes.

In Seattle, you can find stores provides tours for kayaking, and paddleboarding. Or if you know how to do those sports safely and you prefer to do it on your own, you can also rent those equipments from them.

A store called Ballard Kayak, where is located by the Golden Gardens Park in Seattle, and here is their address: 7901 Seaview Ave NW, Seattle, WA 98117. They offers many choices for people, so each of their customers can be satisfy. Now they have lots of tours opening to everyone, and some of the tours are 3.5 hours, which is the longest tours. The shortest tours are 1.5 hours.

1. Ballard Locks Tour, costs $65, 3.5 hours. In this tour you will get a chance to paddle through Ballard’s scenic Shilshole Bay, and you might also see multiple seals, sea lions, osprey and great herons on your way. Then the tour will also lead you to enter the Hiram M. Chittenden (Ballard) Locks.
  2.  2-hour Sound Tour, costs $45, 2 hours. In this two hours you will get a great chance to see seals, sea lions, great blue herons and more when you are exploring at the Puget Sound.
  3. Discovery Point Kayak Tour, costs $70, 3.5 hours. You can paddle from Shilshole Bay to Discovery Point on the route that was used by Seattle’s earliest inhabitants, and they provides lunch for you in this tour.
  4. Sunset on the Sound, costs $35, 1.5 hours. This is a casual trip in an afternoon, you paddle thru the Puget Sound when the sun is drifting down of the Olympic Mountains to get a perfect view of the sunset.
  5. Ballard Junction SUP Tour, costs $45, 2 hours. This tour will start with a short lesson for beginners, then they will make their way to a train bridge crossing and check out the marine life in that area.
  6. 90-Minute Beginner SUP Tour, costs $40, 1.5 hours. This tour will also start with a short lesson before you start to explore, and they will head into a beautiful and sheltered waters of Shilshole Bay Marina to make sure everyone is safe in their tour.

If you want to plan you own trip and you need to rent kayaks and paddleboards, you can start planning your day trip and order them in June because their rentals will open again in June. Single kayak rental is $20/hour and $150/day, Double kayak rental is $30/hour and $220/day. And stand up paddleboard rental is $20/hour and $150/day. They also have packages: 5-Punch Paddle Pass for $150, includes 2 hours per punch, 1 punch per day, and another choice is 10-Punch Pass for $225, includes 3 hours per punch, 1 punch per day plus 10% off all Guided Tours! More informations are on their website: http://www.ballardkayak.com/. They also have more details about what you would want to bring when you attend their activities, and what they provide for you.

About the Writer
Yvonne Chang, Community, Staff Writer

Yvonne likes to watch movies with her family and hangout with friends. She is currently on the basketball team and is thinking about doing tennis in Spring. Yvonne is an exchange student from Taiwan and is also apart of the International Club.