Panther Tracks

• Last Day of School June 21st

• Sign Up For Panther Cup On June 5th

My Journey To Fitness Part 4: Getting A Gym Membership

Levi Hornbuckle, Staff Writer

After my junior football season, that is when I started wanting to get into lifting weights and bettering myself. So after school the Bonney lake high school football team had a weightlifting class and I would go everyday. But with peoples schedules the program was super inconsistent and I was trying to be consistent with my workouts. I didn’t have the ability to do this with the situation I was in so I kept up with the inconsistency for awhile. But it didn’t take me long before I really got really tired of it. I went and talked to my aunt who had a membership at Prime Fitness along with my uncle and two cousins who also had memberships to the same gym. I knew a lot of upperclassmen that went to prime fitness and knew if I joined I would have mentors and people there to help me out if i needed it. The only problem that was preventing me from getting a membership was convincing my aunt and uncle to pay for my membership. Because they had already been paying for four membership to go and hardly anyone went my plan of attack was to try and convince them that I would use it more then say my other cousins. So to show them that I would take responsibility and use my membership wisely I continued to go to the football lifts after school. not to long after my talk an opportunity arose, my cousin was moving out and she was no longer using her membership so I asked my aunt.  She said that she would transfer my name to the account and I could use the membership. So I started going everyday directly after school, I would get there around three o’clock and I would leave at ten or whenever I could get a ride home. Since I didn’t have a car I would go and workout by myself first. Then I would get tired and  take a break, once my break was done I would wait for a friend or someone to show up that I knew. I would usually get two to three workouts in a day and i was getting in a lot better shape. Going from 285 lbs to 255 lbs and it felt great. I felt like I lost a lot more fat than it looked but what happened was while I was losing weight I was gaining muscle and was getting stronger. After about 8 months of me going to the gym by myself I convinced my aunt to give my cousin billy a membership two and we started going together after school around 8 o’clock at night. He wasn’t in the best shape when he started off so he didn’t lift much and got tired fast. But we kept up the consistency and we both gradually got in better shape together. When I started going to the gym with billy my bench max was around 245 lbs my deadlift was 315 lbs and my squat was 500 lbs now my bench is 335 lbs my deadlift is 435 lbs and my squat is 550 lbs. I honestly don’t plan on breaking records but I plan on bettering myself and changing my diet to lose more fat and make better gains.

About the Writer
Levi Hornbuckle, Movies
Levi is a senior who enjoys playing football.